This is the equipment we took with us. We used every item with the exception of the Axe (we used the saw instead).
- High Lift Jack
- Tirfor Manual Winch + 4 Shackles (2 large, 2 small)
- Entrenching Tool
- Sand Ladders
- Pruning Saw
- Axe (unused)
- Geological Hammer
- Neon Lamp (12 V)
- Torch/Neon - rechargable.
- Spot Light (Halogen - hand held)
- Jerry Can 5x20 Litre Water, 4x20 Litre Diesel, 2x10 Paraffin
- Fridge (electrolux)
- Plastic Water bottles (4x1.5 Litres)
- Water Purification Filter (+2 spare ceramic candles)
- Roof Tent (large)
- 2 Optimus multi fuel stoves
- Air Compressor
- Araldite - v. important
- Silicone 'instant gasket.
- Self Amalgamating insulating tape.
- Cloth Tape
- Spare Foam (for sleeping inside truck)
- 6 Boxes - 1 clothes, 2 food, veg and utensils, 1 food, 1 junk
- 1 narrow first aid box
- Fly Spray
- Battery (nicad) recharger
- Two Maclaren folding chairs
- One folding stool
- asbestos mat
- Sigg bottle
- Curtains and Rail
- Plastic Mud Mats
- Cassette tape boxes
- 2 Fire extinguishers
- 2 warning triangles
- Large Plastic bucket
- 3 in 1 washing up bowls
- Solar Shower
- Electrical Multimeter
- Fly netting for windows.
- Combination Spanner set
- Socket wrench set
- Torque wrench
- Large (1.5 inch drive) breaker bar and wheel nut socket
- Small (0.5 inch drive) breaker bar and wheel socket.
- Long nose vice grips
- WD 40
- Grease gun
- Assorted screwdriver set
- 'Iron Bull' 53 mm Jaw size adjustable spanner.
- Pliers (square nose)
- Circlip pliers (internal and external multi end.
- Circlip pliers (conventional)
- Two arm puller
- Hacksaw (junior)
- Tyre levers
- Punture repair kit
- Oil can
- Tyre pressure guage
- Knife sharpener
- Pop rivetter (and rivets)
- 2 Fuel Filters
- 2 air filters
- 2 fan belts
- 15 litres oil (Enough for one oil change plus running requirements)
- Bars Leaks
- 2 inner tubes
- 1 oil filter
- Brake and clutch fluid
- A.T.F (Power steering and gearbox)
- EP90 (Hubs, Diffs, transfer case)
- Radiator Hoses
- Brake Pads.
- Clutch/Brake master cylinder overhaul kits (Should have taken)
- Extra spare wheel & Tyre (Unnecessary - but if it had been just once...)
- Bulbs - several of each.
- Fibreglass (Isopon P38 (Bog) and P40)
- Brake bleeding kit.
- Assorted but/bolts and screws
- Bull bars - not strictly necessary but good for pushing other vehicles
- Roof Rack (Brownchurch Motors if possible)
- Raised air intake
- Extra fuel tank
- Winscreen security plates.
- Padlocks on doors.
- Lamp Protector grills
- Towball and shackle rear, tow shackle front.
- Extra battery under front seat.
- Split charge relay (Hella)
- 3 hella sockets inside (Fridge, water filter and spare)
- 2 Hella sockets on outside.
- Internal Flourescent light at rear.
- Security box in engine compartment.
- Voltmeter (Check batteries charging)
- Hella socket in front (instead of cigar lighter) for fans.
- Fly netting in front of radiator.
Cutlery Box (Day Box)
- Cutlery draw
- Rotary grater
- Knives, forks, spoons, teaspoons (4 each)
- Dibber (Plastic)
- Potato peeler
- Two small serated edge knives
- Wooden Spatulas (dibbers)
- Chinese melamine spoons
- Can Opener
- Stay Sharp Knife
- Flat grater
- candles (6)
- matches (2 large cooks, 2 pkts small)
- Two pint plastic glasses
- 1 Tube travel wash
- roll kitchen foil
- Spaghetti (1 Kg)
- Washing Up liquid (1 litre 50 cl)
- Milton Sterilising fluid (1 litre)
- Emergency solid fuel stove and briquettes
- Large Tupperware container of flour
- medium Tupperware container of powdered milk
- Medium Tupperware container of sugar
- Small Tupperware container of empty
- small round Chilli powder
- Container dried garlic
- Lime Pickle (283g)
- Mango Chutney (400g)
- Dried onions (100g)
- Bicarbonate of Soda (200g)
- Baking Powder (170g)
- Chilli Powder (170g)
- Soy Sauce (1 litre)
- Dried Egg (130g)
- Dried Mushrooms (150g)
- Cooking Salt (1.5 Kg)
- Pure Hazelnut oil (250ml)
- Empty mincemeat tub.
- Bovril stock cubes (beef) (32)
- Bovril stock cubes (Chicken) (16)
- Pineapple Jam (450g)
- 2 Tall Round tupperware (empty)
- Pepper Mill
- Fly Umbrella
- Cake Tin (empty)
- Bag of Curtains
- Foil sealed Hamburgers (160g)
- Drying up cloths (tea towels) 3
- Africa map - cloth
- Bicarbonate of soda (200g)
- Lentils (500g)
- Red kidney beans 1 tin
- Custard powder (300g)
- Turmeric 1 Pkt
- Chick Peas (500g)
- Popadams (50g x 3 pkts)
- Flat container - beans for sprouts
- Flaked Garlic
- Pasta (Spaghetti (500g)
- Cooking Salt
- Large jar Moccona instant coffee
- Cheese Sauce granules
- Ice cream tub full of rice
- Dried onions (100g)
- Jasmin Tea 1 tin
- Earl Grey 1 pkt
- Plum Tomatoes 2 tins
- Dried Thyme 1 pkt
- Curry Powder
- Vegetable Oxo 8
- Dried Yeast
- Angel Delights instant pudding 2
- 5 Spice 1 pkt
- Dried fruit things
- Dried Zaire beans
- Tube tomato Puree (200g)
- Washing up brush 1
Pots and Pans box (lift down front)
- Pots/Pan set
- Optimus Oven
- Two plastic mixing bowls
- Plastic sieve
- Plastic collander
- Coffee + filter funnel and filters
- Bean Sprouter
- Isotonic drink (450g)
- Whisk (hand beater)
- Generic plastic food wrap. [*]
- Tupperware lids
- Roofrack Straps (2)
- Juicer + Small bowl with lip
- Cards (1 pack)
- Bag Ribbons (joke)
- Firemans hand axe
- Solid Fuel stove + extra briquettes
- Cooking oil (olive) (1.5 litres x 2)
- Country club matches
- Souvenir instrument
- Lightweight Goretex raincoats (2)
- Large tin insect spray
- Tea towels mats etc
- Spare candles for water filter
- Large melamine bowl
- Pedal bin liners (1 bag)
- Solar shower
- Round tupperware container
- Extra brake pads
- Bit of rope.
Other good ideas.
(The things we should have done...)
- Modified trailer tent as roof tent
- sand ladders bolted to side windows - security with open windows for fresh air at night.
- Lift up table attached to rear door for cooking on.
- Fuel sedimenter (if not already fitted)
- Under-rider protector bar.
- 12 V soldering iron.
A little about brand named equipment
I recently received a letter, from a lawyer, informing me that I was
using the name of their product in a generic way, and this could
dilute the brand name. They suggested, in as polite a fashion as one
can expect in a letter from a lawyer, that I change the way I'm using
the brand, putting ™ or ® after the name, and using a particular
In fact, I used the brand name because that was the brand of product
we took with us and wasn't, therefore, diluting the brand. The
possibility that I was simply stating the facts didn't seem to
occur to them.
So, instead of being thanked for recommending their product, and
giving them a free advert for ten years, I'm being sent officious
letters. Surely one can simply recommend a product to ones friends
without having to do it in a specific way?
As a consequence I have removed any reference to that brand name.
There are other brand names mentioned on this page and in this work,
you can rest assured that, if a brand name is mentioned, we actually
used that brand. However, I simply haven't time to find out which
arcane symbol I should place before or after all of those names.
If any other manufacturers complain about the way I am representing
their brands in this non-profit making site I'll remove all mention
of them too.